If you're a military spouse, you're familiar with the unique challenges you face when it comes to pursuing your career goals. Frequent relocations and other uncertainties can make it difficult to establish and maintain a career in any field. However, there are several fitness and wellness careers that may be well-suited for military spouses, as they can be pursued from virtually anywhere. In this blog, we will explore some of these careers and how you can prepare yourself to enter those professions.


Personal Trainer

Personal training is a popular and rewarding career path for those interested in fitness and wellness. Personal trainers work one-on-one with clients to develop customized exercise plans, provide guidance and motivation, and help clients achieve their fitness goals. To become a personal trainer, you generally need a high school diploma or equivalent, although some employers may require a post-secondary degree in a related field. Certification from a recognized organization is also typically required. Lionel University offers the necessary courses totally online, to get you started on this exciting career path.


Group Fitness Instructor

A group fitness instructor leads exercise classes for a group of clients. The classes can include anything from yoga to kickboxing to Zumba. Group fitness instructors typically need a certification from a recognized organization, although a degree in exercise science or a related field can also be helpful.


Health Coach

A health coach is a professional who helps clients achieve their health and wellness goals by providing personalized guidance and support. Health coaches may work in a variety of settings, including corporate wellness programs, healthcare facilities, and private practice. To become a health coach, you generally need a high school diploma or equivalent, although some employers may require a post-secondary degree in a related field, such as nutrition or health sciences. Certification from a recognized organization is also typically required.


Massage Therapist

Massage therapy is a popular wellness practice that involves the manipulation of soft tissues to relieve tension, improve circulation, and promote relaxation. Massage therapists typically work in spas, wellness centers, or private practice, and may specialize in a particular technique or modality. To become a massage therapist, you generally need a high school diploma or equivalent, although some employers may require additional training or certification from a recognized massage therapy school or organization. Certification requirements vary by state, so it's important to research the specific requirements in your area.


Nutrition Coach

Nutrition Coaches are professionals who specialize in the study of food and nutrition and provide guidance to clients on healthy eating habits and dietary choices. Nutrition coaches may work in a variety of settings, including hospitals, doctor's offices, schools, or own their own businesses. To become a nutrition coach, you typically need a degree in a related field, such as nutrition or dietetics. Certification from a recognized organization may also be required.


Paying for your education

As a military spouse, you have a number of programs available to help you pay for your education. The first one is MyCAA. MyCAA stands for Military Spouse Career Advancement Account, a program created by the United States Department of Defense (DoD) to help military spouses pursue their education and career goals. The program provides financial assistance for military spouses to pursue licenses, certificates, certifications or associate degrees in high-demand, portable career fields. As a gold-ranked, military-friendly school, students of Lionel University who qualify, may use MyCAA to complete our Associate degree in Exercise Science.  


To qualify for MyCAA, military spouses must be married to an active duty service member in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, or Coast Guard, or a service member who is in the National Guard or Reserve on active duty orders. Additionally, spouses of service members who have been injured or lost in the line of duty may also be eligible for the program.


To access MyCAA benefits, military spouses must first create an account on the MyCAA website and complete the application process. Once approved, they will be eligible for up to $4,000 in financial assistance over a two-year period to pursue their education.


In addition to MyCAA, the United States government offers other programs to help military spouses pay for their education, including the Post-9/11 GI Bill and the Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (DEA). These programs provide financial assistance for tuition, fees, and other education-related expenses to eligible military spouses and their children. Military spouses may also be eligible for state-specific education benefits and scholarships. More information can also be found in The Den, Lionel University's virtual military student center. It's important for military spouses to research and explore all of their options to find the best program to fit their needs and goals.


Tying It All Together

In conclusion, pursuing a career in fitness and wellness can be an ideal choice for military spouses, as these careers can be pursued virtually anywhere! Whether you're interested in becoming a personal trainer, yoga instructor, health coach, massage therapist, nutritionist, or another fitness career path, there are many opportunities available to help you achieve your career goals. It's important to research the specific education and certification requirements for each career path and to take advantage of any funds or scholarship programs that may be available to you. 


At this point, you realize the world of fitness has more than just one “best job”. This makes it so you can carve your own path and future, depending on what you value most. By knowing what’s most important to you, you can then start taking steps in the right direction to land your dream job. First comes your passion for fitness and helping others. Then, comes your education. Regardless of the job you’re looking for, a personal training certificate is a great place to start. Most successful personal trainers also have a college degree. At Lionel University, you can get both in the same program. Regardless of whether you’re pursuing an associate degree, bachelor’s degree, or master’s degree, at Lionel you earn multiple certificates and specializations along the way. This means you can start working on getting that dream job before graduation day. And, with the help of financial aid and military benefits, earning your exercise science degree is even more of a possibility. Check out our programs and contact Lionel today!